1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Punto Brake pad life

Discussion in 'Technical' started by venka, Mar 21, 2013.

?

2012 Punto Brake pad life

Poll closed Apr 5, 2013.
  1. Less than 10000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. More than 10000

11.1%
  3. Less than 15000

11.1%
  4. More than 15000

11.1%
  5. Less than 20000

11.1%
  6. More than 20000

55.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Any idea how much the brake pad and disc rotor cost for 2012 models.

From the service centre it was told 6200 Rs. Can some one confirm whether price quote given is the correct one ?
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ~3300 for the Brake Pads
    ~2200 for the rotors.
    ~800-1000 labour for replacing both
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Thanks for giving the detailed breakup. So It looks the quote of 6200 is correct. He was not able to give the brand name for the pads. Appreciate, if you know brand names also used these days. From 99rpm site , it list various pads price starts from 1200.
  4. jovi2403

jovi2403 Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Mine done 30650KM.
    My driving is mostly on highways added with the occassional hard pedals with rare sudden brakings, and so it lasted this long, I hope.
    This morning I left for 3rd free service @ VECTO motors, Singachandra. When I was called for the delivery they told that they had changed the pads as they were worn out excluding labour they told it is ~Rs.3600.

I didnt feel any difference in braking and seemed like braking was fine. But these guys told that they changed and without informing me, before they thought of changing. When I asked, they told they can show the pads, if needed.

So my question here is: I felt comfortable with braking even at high speeds and heard no noise while braking. Is there still a chance of someone telling that brake pads were worn out?
    I dont doubt the service assistant here, but just curious to know that whether this call was taken based on the visual inspection alone?

Also what if the pads not changed even after wear, will it eat the disc/drum or will there be a clearance set in the setup, so that the disc/drum and pad mount doesnt rub eachother?

Thanks in advance.
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @jovi2403 to answer your questions.

1. 30000 kms is a good amount of time to get brake pads replaced as a precautionary measure.

2. Yes, if the brake pads are worn out, the brake discs get affected and the service center guys would ask you to replace brake pads along with discs. This isn't only with Fiats but any car that you own.

Though there are different ways to get your brake discs evened out by lathe machine etc, still a genuine spare is no match to it.

I must appreciate your driving skills for having 1st set of brake pads changed at 30K :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    visual inspection is infact the best way to find out if the pads are worn!
    they should have given/shown the old brake pads to you without even asking. you should never take their words in such things!
    2 people like this.
  7. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    Complete noob here.....mines a Feb12 1.2 dynamic, 13k so far, and the bite's as good as new.
  8. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    They should have called you and must have got your consent before changing the pads.
    After such an act, I really doubt if they'd show you the actual brake pad which they removed from your car. They can easily bring out another set of well worn out pads and satisfy you.

Since you felt that the braking was good enough without any noise, it might have lasted easily for another 2k-3K kms even. A simple visual inspection should have shown the life of brake pads.
  9. Nithrath

Nithrath Amatore

Hyderabad
    I am getting my breakpads changed at 27K i.e. 3rd Free service. The charges are Rs.3290 + Taxes. Labour is free as a part of free service.

I complained about some irritation sound while breaking at high speed(sometimes only). And then SA has sent me the pics of breakpads, said to be worn out. I thought 27K is pretty good amount of miles for the 1st break pad changes.
  10. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i changed the brake pads with discs at 29K......