1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Grande Punto - BNW

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by soori, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    normally when the fuel in the tank is 7 litres then we get an alert on instrument panel (yellow light),you mean above this indication ?:confused:
  2. Manilruben

Manilruben Amatore

Chennai
    congrats on the new punto ..though my heart longed for the BNW mine is FTA 90hp ..

it is advisible to keep te fuel filled before getting the alert.
  3. soori

soori

Dubai
    @ENKI

I had a 1.2 petrol. However, I've driven the i20 diesel. Though the car is eager to run, all the power makes no sense coz anything above 90km/h is scary. Braking is good because it has all 4 disc brakes. Also, in Punto we can negotiate humps in 2nd gear. In i20 you need to downshift to 1st. i20 has 1.4liter engine and by default it produces a little more torque due to the higher displacement. One more thing I observed in i20 diesel is 5 gear one had good acceleration and better gear ratio, however, in 6 gear acceleration was not much and it was more of a cruiser in 6th gear. i20CRDI is more refined than Fiat tuned MJD.

Thanks sungoa2010 and Manilruben for the advice.

Also, alignment issue was fixed. Need to check in highway during my return home tonight.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    It is not better to keep the level at yellow light level for quite a long time. It is always better to refill the tank(for any car) at 1/4th level(safer side).
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Of course, I bet it's not sensible.But then what's the selling point of i20/Verna? Hyundai has no other option but make power their selling point. Engines/Transmission can be sourced & better vendors can be appointed for lick-able interior plastic.One can attract & steal a few of crunch employees with finance & make cars look competitive. In US, Hyundai tried to raid into E segment with Genesis but the car is clearly immatured & consumer reports/reviews/sale stats confirm that it still needs to learn a lot. Main aspect of a car that makes it "car" can't be learnt overnight. Hyundai can't compete FIAT or most of the European brands for that matter who have 110+ Yrs experience & their deep know hows. They have to live through 21st century to learn & gain that experience:).
    Also 5-10 HPs here-there doesn't make any car better IMO. What's the use if you can't even dare to cruise at half of the speed the car is capable of? What is the better proof than Hyundai owner being least interested in performance mods (like Remap/tuning chip etc). Which car is faster Linea or new Verna in real world scenario? I would say Linea is faster because it can sustain high speeds with ease (though still way underpowered for it's caliber). We don't drive on paper sheets & statistics hardly matter when you have take steep turn at speeds or need to floor the brake pedal to save yourself. In real world scenario, Linea has to be faster while commuting between 2 points & that's too when Linea driver isn't trying anything special but Verna driver is risking his life;). People driving at 120-130kmph just vanish in my 90 HPs rear view in 15-20 secs:cool: & they all must feel like holy cowww:shock:
    Put 1.6 MJD in Linea/Punto with some stiffer suspension & 4 disc brakes & people would start crying for 2 ltr multi-jets & Brembo-Brakes/Koni suspension with-in an year & start cursing FIAT again:mrgreen:! Such cars are more of an expertise & artistic impression by some immensely talented people with loads of passion.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    4 people like this.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    A long drive in NH 17 will bring all true potentials of Punto. It is a mixed experiences of Ghat, curves, long plain roads etc etc. For sure, unless a BMW, laura , super or any other D-class German mechine, Punto will dominate the road. For sure, in the hands of a good driver punto will lower the ego of a any D class German.
    1 person likes this.
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Congrats on your new car and I hope you have many thousands of kms of satisfaction from owning it.

Not surprising! Be patient because it can take a few weeks to get that perfect driving position. When you do find it, make sure no one changes the position because you could spend another few weeks getting that position again.

That's surprising. Long clutch travel is one reason why Fiat's have been bashed by many people while no one said this about the i20!
  8. i really dont know about clutch travel in i20, but i didnt find the long clutch in punto a big issue. though i am driving a zen for nearly 10 years. its something u'll easily get used to, i believe.
  9. soori

soori

Dubai
    i20's clutch travel is same as of Punto. It's placed a little bit lower. However, it doesn't make any difference. Also, i20's ABC pedal's are placed wider with enough space in between. This comes into notice only for first few days until you get used to Punto.

@Tony Thanks for the advice. I generally never race. I'm a sedate driver. However, I wanted to check the potential of the car and get used to it.

@ENKI
    You won't believe me if i say that most of the people here doesn't even know about Fiat. And they ask whats the name of the car even after seeing it. Reasonthey don't know how to spell it. So we need to educate the prospective buyer. Most of the buyers here are either new to car or novice driver looking for their first car. They don't want to risk as in India buying a car is second huge investment or spending after house.

Also, when I bought my car I didn't have practical experience on handling. So as my mother forced to buy i20 just for external appearance and internal quality. Still I hate that brown interiors. Also, Fiat are really poor in their marketing strategy. They have to go in for brand awareness. Conduct a frequent workshop as Maruti and Hyundai does in Malls, Banks, corporate companies and even in petrol stations. Hell, I don't find any advertisements in newspapers too. Very sad.

Why don't they release a full page advertisement covering the all the features available in Fiat and compare it with the competitors and also show the fuel economy from the customers itself. I'm damn sure I would say that the car is giving +20 km/l in standard driving conditions. Brand Awareness is more important than everything.

This is the third car in our office to be a Fiat. Our senior manager has a fiat palio 1.2. Though the maintenance is costly and mileage is of single digit he doesn't want to get rid or move away from Fiat. He is thankful that his package (salary) is good so that he can maintain that beauty. When my colleague almost bought a Swift LDI, I made him cancel it two days prior to the delivery (incidently the price was hiked for nearly 37k) from his initial quote. He discussed with me about the features took the test drive and bought Punto dynamic MJD a week before I bought car. He is very happy and thanks me for asking him to re-consider his decision. Remember he graduated from Ritz LDI ;) My ex-colleague was planning to buy a Ritz and now he is convinced to go for MJD active. I'm sure he would buy Active MJD over Ritz VDI.

Now coming to issue with Hyundai cars I'm the worst sufferer. Let anyone challenge who says the quality is good. However, I don't know about A.S.S as am a newbie to FIAT. My car had frequent steering rattle issues. The rack was changed once, and second time the yoke pad was changed. Though I had to go for A.S.S for the third time for the same steering rattle issue. Everytime they would grease the power steering motor and tighten the yoke pad. The car would be returned with tight steering with no rattling and this issue would crop after say 2000kms. Don't ask me the fate of any customers after the warranty period. I heard it cost around 18k to replace the steering rack.

The other problem was with disk brake caliper pin. It would rattle very badly on roads with all type of surfaces. They couldn't solve it and the solution given was to insert tire tube piece.. :confused: . Finally, the issue was solved for 2000kms. Don't ask me how. And the issue started once again when I was about to sell the car.

Also, I had frequent issues with Airbag. The airbag malfunction light would glow every time the car went over bad patches. The issue was traced to coupler joint and was fixed for small period. Finally, the car was sold with the same issue.

My car used to vibrate in idle. The entire floor area and the steering used to vibrate. Everytime I visited the A.S.S they used to say its normal whilst other cars didn't have any problem. Finally, I had to ask to check the spark-plug and I was right. The spark-plug in one of the cylinders used to misfire. Though the spark-plug was re-aligned there were mild vibrations.

The last but the least the A/C was really pathetic. I guess you have noticed that I had asked about the compressor size in one of the thread. Only the one who experienced it knows the pain of it. The passengers used to ask me to lower the glass even if the AC was running in full blast in the afternoon :(

My A/C vent was broken though it was carefully used. I had to shell out Rs 2000 for replacement. Also, there was another A/C vent malfunctioning. Couldn't control the volume of air. Now speaking about quality anyone?

I have other issues to. Will write it sometime later.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
    1 person likes this.