1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Grande Punto - BNW

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by soori, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Yep, Pls follow this procedure during ignition if you haven't done it so far. It's clearly mentioned on Owner's handbook Pg. 94 under "Starting procedure for diesel engines". I would rather trust FIAT for their technology instead of locally built up ideas:razz:. They haven't mentioned the reason but i think it may concern to glow plugs & preheated fuel mixture. It is mentioned that as soon ignition coil sign disappear, press the clutch. Also pressing clutch may disengage all the electrical accessories during starting procedure. Hyundai cars (at least diesel Verna & Getz) can't be started until we press the clutch before igntion.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ENKI,
    Thanks for the info,i will follow that here onwards...

Another example (not related to the query) about clutch start,i have seen in the scorpio ,after the ride,once engine is switched off and if you want to start it again (instead of using the ignition key),then just press the clutch once,engine gets started and i guess this can be done only once.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

& pressing clutch during ignition has to be an important one if FIAT have mentioned in manual. FIAT seems pretty concerned about it (under maintenance section). Obviously other manufacturers too & they even changed ignition procedure to ensure that customer follows this:mrgreen:. Having said that they are not concerned about engine run-in concept & doesn't make it to their manual. Neither i have heard any of the Punto/Linea review where improper engine run-in was blamed for a maintenance issue either by FIAT or customer:).
    1 person likes this.
  4. soori

soori

Dubai
    pu.jpg

Side Profile.

My car has alignment issue. The steering is not straight. It tilts to left by default. :(
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Pls check if there is any leftward slope on the road where you are driving. If you want to sure of the alignment, better drive it on a stretch where it's smooth & zero slope. Also try it by accelerating to 100 Kmph & see if there is any wobble in steering/car. Possibility is that It may be misaligned due to off-roading session that you did to feel the advantage of high GC:mrgreen:
    Else take it to TASS & get it aligned. It's newly delivered so it shouldn't charge.
  6. soori

soori

Dubai
    No this happened after they fixed ball joint issue. I've tried it in different roads. Today had been to A.S.S. They swapped the left and right front tire. The issue was fixed slightly. Still the steering is eager to stay slightly tilted to left. In case if you want to keep it straight u need to apply force on it. Doing this the car will start rolling to right.

A.S.S told me to re-check today, if it's not fixed they will adjust it tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Whats the recommended tire pressure. The manual states 29 on medium load and 32 on heavy load. Whereas in the car it is mentioned as 32. 32 gives a harsh ride so lowered it to 30 and the ride is good.

Any comments on this?

Regarding depressing the clutch it is to save starter motor from early failure. When the car in neutral (without depressing the clutch) the engine starter motor still has to crank the engine and the gearbox. When you depress the clutch the starter motor has to start only the engine. This also saves the battery. This is highly recommended on the cold start when the oil is heavier.

I follow this on all the cars although this practice was generally used in older cars. Better to be on safer side.
    1 person likes this.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Soori, I prefer 32. It depends where your daily driving is & obviously feel good factor. I use to travel alone except a few occasions obviously but still i prefer 32. I feel it more responsive & easy on engine (may be it's not the case in real world scenario). You can manage it 30. As summer is approaching so i may have to get it deflated to 30.
    But that's no where related to your alignment issue. The problems mentioned are clearly an alignment issue. I think TASS should have done the alignment by default if they replaced the ball joint.
  8. soori

soori

Dubai
    they have not replaced the ball joint. Just fiddled with the torque. the road near to the A.S.S is not good and straight. Will be going once again tomorrow. if found no good am going to independent alignment center whom I trust. They did good job earlier in I20. only problem is dat they are busy and occupied.
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Though you haven't revved it too much except one incidence, what are initial impressions on it's peppiness when compared to i20? Also Punto demands less frequent gear changes than i20 (i guess you had i20 diesel), right?
    Pls confirm on these observations.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Congrats. Punto in BNW colour looks gorgeous. One advice from my side is always keep the fuel tank with sufficient fuel. This will increase the life of fuel pump.