1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Grande Punto - BNW

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by soori, Feb 15, 2012.

1. soori

February 9th was a memorable day for me. Bought my first diesel car. And am loving the experience.

Below are some of the observations:
    • No words to describe the road behavior of the car. Beautiful suspension and handling.
    • Pure hydraulic steering. Love the feedback.
    • The fit and finish is lot better than the the old model.
    • Good mileage. Consistently delivering 22 in mixed conditions. Keeping RPM below 2000RPM
    • Wish the rear space was more. However, not a deal breaker as this was done keeping aerodynamics in mind. The rear can only accommodate 2 comfortably where as in i20 3 could be seated without issues.
    • Ground clearance has been increased to 185mm.
    • The upholstery remains same. Only Punto petrol and FGT gets the change in the seat and door upholstery.
    • Yet to find the comfortable seating position.
    • Long clutch travel is not an issue coz it was same with the i20.
    • Small rattling in the front left door and near to the front windshield and dashboard.
    • Very powerful AC.
    • Stock Headlamps are adequate.
    • lacks storage space compared to i20 and also a very small glove-box. Glove-box even cannot accommodate the car manual :(
    • Wished seat belt buzzer for co-passenger seat.
    • Love the my car function.
    • Everyone is in praise of doors. It's built like a vault.
    • Rear view mirror is of little use.
    • Headrest for front seat is a joke. Does adding a neck rest fix this issue? I've the habit of leaning my head against head rest while driving.
    • Steering adjustment is of no use for me. I used it in i20 frequently for comfortable position.
    • Got very bad sound from under-body near to left tire after 3 days. Had to visit to the service center. The issue was first thought to be from suspension link rod. However, the issue was from ball joint. The torque was increased. The issue was fixed within 20 min.
    • Miss remote boot opening mechanism from outside.
    • i20 2010 model used to come with 5 alloy wheels. Wished Fiat would offer the same.
    • The 2010 test drive car was very silent during idle and there was not a hint of vibration in the steering. The car had run 10000kms. Hoping the same with my car after 5000kms.
    • Wind noise from the OVRM's. Even the co-passenger complained the same. Is it possible to fix this issue?

punto1.jpg punto2.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    3 people like this.
  2. PranavOne

PranavOne Amatore

Nice Pics Soori, Espicially the second one is awesome
  3. Congrats Mate, Nice Pics :)
  4. soori

Thank you Pranav and Raaj..
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome !
    nopes,i have tried it,within next few hours you feel the pain!
    very useful for me,myselves 6ft tall,when alone in car,will drag the seat behind at the fullest and adjust the steering position..boyy.. there u feel like you are driving Hatchback car in a style;)

Missing me too ! Guess linea has it

was also surprise for me!and came to know after the buy of the car..
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Congratulations on your new acquisition soori. Which location are you from?
  7. soori

Thanks Ganges. I am yet to find a comfortable position. it's hardly a week with this car. Hopefully, I find it soon. Also, do you guys hear the wind noise from the ORVM?

I'm trying to find a way to solve this headrest issue.

I'm from Mangalore, Karnataka.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Congratulations on the 2012 Mighty 90.

Great locale for the pics. With the increased GC , the Punto can even tackle such terrain with ease. ;)
  9. soori

I was very much worried with my old car. The car used to scrape most of the roads here. But it's not the case with Punto. And the above picture is clicked in a road through a stream leading to the temple. The ride in i20 in the same spot was very harsh. However, it's a different game here with Punto.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Hummm... I remember your thread for query 90 HP. Congrats!!
    There are many surprises you will come across in future. This car is going to exceed all your expectations. It too good!!
    Since GC is not an issue now. Also one more other thing to be taken care of is to always press clutch & then turn the ignition key on, check your engine oil/coolant levels once a week at least. In case any manufacturing defect, same could be spotted at an early stage. These 2 things can play havoc with Multijet otherwise it's sturdiest piece of machine by a good margin. Also don't keep the RPMs constant for long till first 5000 KMs & varying RPMs at different engine speeds is recommended for initial few thousands.

It's good if you want to be disciplined with Engine run-in, but it doesn't matter if you cross 2000 RPMs. That's strictly my view with complete respect to all opinions here. I intentionally took it to the max. speed on NH-8 within very 1st hour after leaving dealership. For turbo care, when you park it after finishing your day, pls keep the vehicle idle for 1 minute before switching it off (specially when you have driven it aggressively or covered some long distance).

Pics are indeed nice. Keep coming more praise for your Punto especially compared to i20:dancing. I would love that!
    1 person likes this.