1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

185mm tyres or 195mm??

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by mayank, Nov 20, 2011.

1. mayank

mayank Amatore

Hii...i own a GP 1.3 mjd active which is just 4months and 1000kms old..and now i am very eager to change the looks of my italian beauty :p but first i wanna start with changing the stock tyres and installing 15'' alloys!..but here i am in a l'il dilemma :confused:..as i wanna add broad tyres i wanna know if the tyre size 195mm would be adequate or shall i go with 185mm tyres?..my heart wants to go with 195mm but on the other hand i dont want much difference with the "heaviness of the steering wheel" which is already well weighted with 165mm stock tyres :D i have seen 195mm tyres looking stunning in many gp's with alloys..but on the other hand i have also seen hyundai i20 coming with 185mm tyres having alloys..and they also look pretty gud! but i have never seen any gp with 185mm tyres!:confused: so i just want some suggestions from the fellow tfians regarding which tyre size shall i opt for among these two?:confused: in order to not to lose the much pleasure of turning the well weighted steering wheel of my italian beauty :D..Thanks in advance guys :p
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    195/60 R15 is the size to go. To feel how the steering would feel drive any Fiat Emo Pk test drive vehicle.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If you want, you can opt for 14 inch alloys. They make more sense considering our Indian roads aren't exactly Autobahns. :)

185 70 R14 is one size you can check out. Plus, it'll be a bit easy on the pocket too.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Mayank, I subscribe to gurjinder's line of thought.
    If you plan to stay with 14" wheels, 185/70 R14 is the way to go.
    If you upgrade to 15", then it should be 195/60 R15.
  5. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    U also have to look at the "J" of the rim, if it is more than/equal to 6, then 185 size will not be adequate as the width of the tyre will be less than that of the rim. The difference in steering weight would be negligible so u can go ahead with 195mm tires
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I use a 6J rim and currently have 175/70 R14 on them. They fit fine.
    Most of the 14" wheels come with 5.5J or 6J.
    You can use anything from 175mm to 225mm on a 6J wheel and 155mm to 205mm on a 5.5J
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My bad on the 6J part but anything beyond that has more width than the tyre(185), my earlier set of 15's had 6.5J and the 195 section tyre fitted exactly to the rims J, I learned it when our driver went to upgrade them from the stock tires, as the tyre dealer sold the 185/65/15 to us, only upon getting it fitted did we notice the width issue, that's when I opted for the 205/55's.
  8. mayank

mayank Amatore

thanks for such nice information guys :) next week i will go and test drive the gp emotion pk model and if it comes upto my desirable conclusion then i will go for 195mm 15'' otherwise i will consider 14'' 185mm tyres :)
  9. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    my vote goes for 205/55 tyres .. i am using this profile on my punto 1.3 mjd for a long time now ..
    i admit that our indian roads are not of that great condition but there is no match to ride nd control when it comes to 205/55, specially on highways & as that meaty look of these wide tyres are astonishing..
    i have drove my car on really bad roads, i think one car still have these tyres but have to be a lil more careful and there won;t be any problem..
    there is no way m switching to 195/60 when these tyres wore off !
  10. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Even I am planning to replace stock tyres of my Punto Active with 185/70/R14 on existing steel wheels. Since I already have 165/80/R14, would changing over to 185/70/R14 decrease ground clearance? The main reason for the upgradation is the crazy noise that these stock JK tyres make, which creeps into the cabin. Also on not so perfect roads, the ride is a bit jittery