1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

16" on Punto (90hp) ?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Arkin, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

When we were buying our Punto 90hp, I wanted to get it the T-Jet+ 's 16" wheels* and tires ( perhaps T-Jet+ spec tires), but was warned against getting them by my dealership - which claimed the tires could scrape against the wheel well. So we didn't proceed. I do not recollect if I asked
    *(which now come on the Linea Emotion too)

Now all of a sudden, I've come across a pic on another forum (no prizes for guessing which one) of a red Sport with the T-Jet's alloys :shock:
    No mention of the tire specs used.

I have a few questions, the answers of which I couldn't find in spite searching the forum.

1.) Is it possible to safely go in for 16 inchers on a Punto, without any wheel-well scraping?
    2.) If yes, what tire spec is one to use?
    3.) Would there be a great decrease in ride comfort? Would the ride then be as stiff/hard as one would experience in a Fiesta Classic?
    4.) Could there be side effects like for example

The only reason I've been looking at this upgrade is for the looks.
    Thanks in advance.

PS- I went through these threads, but my questions are unanswered.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

There are Puntos right here in this forum with 215/45 R17.

3. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

I would not prefer a huge decrease in in ride quality.
    I've come across only one (the one I mentioned) Punto with 16-inchers. Hence my apprehension.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Arkin, If the purpose is just looks, I would suggest try some other stuffs.
    Punto already has the biggest alloy in hatchback segment. 15" and 16" will not make huge difference in looks.

Having said that, Punto can easily take 16" alloy without any major difference in ride quality.
    1 person likes this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

only a 17" can make some difference.. 16" is not going to add such a big oomph factor..
    There are few things that you might want to consider...
    16" tyres are mighty expensive.
    Besides you will have to go with lower profiles than you would with 15" that is going to make it unsafe for your alloys (ride quality is a personal choice , i wont comment).
    Bent alloys are very common and its just not something you can live with or without.. and 16" is going to make it that much more difficult to live with it.

Should you have alloy damage then its Extremely hard to source 16" alloys in 98PCD so think about it.. ( 15" itself was a nightmare for me).
  6. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

I see :) Any suggestion regarding tire size?

Well, I'm a great fan of the T-Jet and it's turbine alloys. After-market bling - not really my cup of tea. I prefer subtle designs, and rare as 98 pcd alloys are, the 16" Linea / T-Jet wheels are the ones I liked best. So finding a replacement for a damaged FIAT alloy wouldn't be too difficult?
    Would you say the chances of Rim/Tire damage would be lower running R16 rather than R17?

7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Are there any good VFM options for tyres in 16"?
    Almost every tyre i see is almost 9K which is about 80% expensive than a 15 inch tyre:O
  8. Arkin

Arkin Amatore