1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

150000 km Long love for Linea MJD

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by nareshreddyp, Aug 3, 2016.

1. nareshreddyp

nareshreddyp Timido

Bangalore
    After selling i10, the hunt for new car started in April 2010.I was looking for Punto MJD Emotion Pack, but my colleague has told me that there is a 10 months old Linea (12000km done) available for sale.

At first sight itself my love for Linea has started and I have picked it up at decent price. (Previous owner had booked BMW and it is temporary car for him)

Though I am thinking to start an ownership thread for quite long time, it has taken me this long (5 long years)

459026_3790047144204_570491650_o.jpg

OWNERSHIP:

I had taken Linea everywhere and all terrains (Literally where there is no road). Other than the underbody scratching it has taken everything so simple. Even at 150KMPH Linea was stable, controllable and dependable. There were quite good features like Blue & Me, Follow-me home head lamps.

IMG_9409.JPG

After Market Changes:

1. Audio System : Stock Player with Cervin Vega Amp, Infinity Speakers

2. Leather Seats : Ovion

Key Points:

1. Ground clearance : Engine guard was too strong and it has taken almost all hits.

2. Turning Radius : Though it is on little higher side, manageable.

3. Features : Blue & Me, Follow-me home head lamps.

4. Mileage : Long 17 km/l Bangalore City : 11 km/l (100% AC ALL TIME)

5. Maintenance : Maintenance is not cheap for this car definitely.

Major Issues/servicing:

1. Because of Engine noise, timing chain was changed 4 times (At 34k, 53k, 114k, 140k)

2. Clutch kit has been changed twice (77k & 140k) – Not an issue really

3. Gear Cable Assembly changed at 83k.

4. Cylinder head overhauling at 83k.

5. Head light replaced to Stock again at 103k

6. Changed tyres twice (stock one to Michelin Primacy Lc at 35k, to Michelin Energy XM2 at 98k)

7. Half Engine Assembly replacement at 140k (Costed me 135000/-)

Blue smoke (caused by burning Engine oil inside the combustion chamber).

According to my research, many 2009 models have this Engine issue.

8. Suspension change at 150k (Upgraded ground kit)

IMG_9702.JPG

Final Verdict:

Though I have spent good amount of money for servicing & issues, my ride on Linea was comfortable, stable and safe. I will definitely touch 200000 KM soon :)

IMG_20160706_091116036.jpg

Never felt insecure in driving my Linea at any time (Completed 152000KM now).

Naresh Reddy.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2016
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Can you please put some light on such frequent timing chains replacements? And were you asked to pay for it everytime or the warranty took care of it?
  3. nareshreddyp

nareshreddyp Timido

Bangalore
    I got timing chain replacements twice under warranty and I have paid twice. (Once Part of Timing kit replacement at 114k)
  4. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @nareshreddyp : congrats on clocking 1.5L kms :)
    1. weren't you doing the service on time? engine overhaul within this distance is little early IMO.
    2. is there any noticeable difference after upgrading to higher Ground clearance kit? Any hit on previous ride and handling? pre 2012 cars known for great handling because of lower GC.
  5. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Great going indeed and your faith on this Linea is also enviable. Didn't you feel nervous at any point of time, as the beauty aged slowly? Maybe, because you have very good support from FASS. Here at Indore, I don't feel so confident now, as my Linea has now completed 4 years and is out of warranty.
  6. nareshreddyp

nareshreddyp Timido

Bangalore
    @Deepak :

1. I have always maintained less than 14k service intervals throughout my ownership at FASS (Earlier TASS). Lesson learned now i have changed the service interval to 9k or 10k. My assumption that this issue occurred because of earlier issues with Timing kits and one blocked fuel injector. But anyway 2009 Models especially has a issue with Engine components (Driven gear, driving gear & timing kit). I have seen 3 Lineas at KHT Service center with the same issue (One at 70000 km itself). I don't remember where i read it, 2011 or 2012 models they have rectified this problem. Though my car is out of warranty long time back, FIAT has given me a discount of 20% (I assume that they are aware of this issue, thatswhy they didn't bother much to give discount for this issue).

2. Yes. After ground clearance kit, Linea didn't even touched once also to any path holes or speed breakers. But i can notice the handling was not that great when compared to earlier. I can feel the stiffness from the car. Center of gravity makes lot of difference i assume. But it is not really bad definitely.

@Ravi_M : Yes. Fortunately I had good relationship with KHT staff in Bangalore. I think i can run this car regularly for next 2 years without any problem (Since I have changed the suspension, torsion bar etc).

Still I have lot of trust on my LINEA. :). I have escaped many close shaves because of the proper feedback from the car.
    I have swift desire in my family, but never had trust in that.

Naresh
    arun_josie, prabhjot, Deepak and 6 others like this.
  7. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congratulations @nareshreddyp for 1.5lac happy kms. It's a lot of mileage and linea has aged gracefully.

Cheers for upcoming miles!
    nareshreddyp likes this.
  8. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @nareshreddyp : Nice buddy. please do keep updating this thread. A Fiat with higher miles is an inspiration to all :)
    nareshreddyp likes this.
  9. nareshreddyp

nareshreddyp Timido

Bangalore
    1. Crossed 157000 km
    2. Changed the tyres to Yokohama Earth 1

After driving for 2000km, impression on Yokohama Earth 1 is that they are little more noisy than Michelin, but road grip & stability is good.
    avithe1 and Deepak like this.