1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

100/90W bulbs/ Punto headlamp upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    I got 65/55w, OEM replacement. Mine Punto E - Mjd
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. HI Fiat-Yamaha,

thanks for the update but is it better then the OEM bulbs which comes with Punto. I have Punto E 1.3 MJD. and interested on changing the bulbs as i do lot of highway drives and i need better light.
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @Drift ..Even I use philips and it is much better than OEM. Another option (Maybe a better) would be to check for Osram Night Breaker 'PLUS' .It seems to be one of the best available in India now. Just take note of one thing. Philips gives you yellow light & osram gives you white light. Dont get confused between Osram Night Breaker & Osram Night nreaker 'PLUS'. You can replace the fog bulbs also so that it would be much better. Both these would cosy you between 800-1000 k.
  4. hi Cinju,

thanks for the info but i m looking for yellow light as bangalore police is very strict about this and don`t want to endup paying them. i m ok with the high beam like but low beam is very poor. looks like philips Xtream will do my requirements. so do you recommend me to go with 65/55 one.
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Buddy it surely fills my requirement. But don't expect a biiiig change. But it surely is much better than OEM. You can count on me. You can go with the current rating itself (55/60 W).
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    On the Osram Night Breaker Plus bulbs, there are blue bands around the bulb which supposedly give the light emitted a whitish tinge, not white light as such. See the first pic.

All 'performance' bulbs will have service life less than the factory ones. Taking a conservative estimate, if they last one year, its ok in my book. Ideally , they should see around 1.5-2 years of use.

The point is , if i get the extra safety of more light on the highway and city , i can justify the extra i have to pay for these bulbs, plus the shorter service life. Taking into account that the low beam on the Linea is not really encouraging.

The service life of Night Breaker was mentioned as 320 hours (similar figure for Philips Xtreme Power) . And the NB Plus is advertised as having 50% more life than the NB. That makes it ~480 hours (on paper).

They should be perfectly legal.
    They are not exactly white light bulbs. But compared to the stock halogens , the light from them will be slightly whiter , but not the silly tubelight white type.

p43t is the industry standard bulb base for the H4 type of bulbs. See the second pic.

Taking into account that the factory bulbs are of the same wattage, our headlamp domes should be safe. The reason behind these bulbs giving more output is that they are more efficient designs over ordinary halogens. The temperature difference will be marginal, rather than drastic as in the case of 100/90 bulbs.

Gurjinder.

OSRAM_Nightbreaker_Plus1233576.jpg

p43t38.gif
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    Adding to the above post - OSRAM specifically mention that the Night Breaker Plus is 100% compatible with plastic headlight domes , and so using them should not be a worry.

As with everything aftermarket, make sure whichever part you're buying is bought from an authorised dealer and not just from any auto accessory shop. These bulbs (Osram, Philips) are popular ; equally popular is their counterfeiting by the Chinese noodles. :)

Gurjinder.
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Gurjinder paaji, when and from where do you plan to get this upgrade? Maybe we can get these together?
  9. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    @gurjinder, Is there any benefit of those blue strips? IMHO, yellow lamp should be a much better idea that Blue (Cool Daylight). It sees less scatter, esp in rain / fog (should help you see further away), and is more visible to the eye. Apart from the theory, I have noticed this at home where I now use only yellow (Warm-White) tubes at home, instead of the traditional blue ones - they provide more brightness to the rooms with the same power rating, and look more pleasing to the eye IMHO.
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    This diagram is pretty helpful to gauge the color temperature in Kelvin and the associated degree of whiteness.

The OSRAM Night Breaker Plus are somewhat around 2500-3000K

The Philips Xtreme Power is 3450K

The Philips Xtreme Vision is 2500K.

Gurjinder.

P.S. Yashik , there is an OSRAM authorised dealer in Sector 48. Trikut Auto Agencies. I'll get the bulbs from them and thinking of installing them myself.;) If possible , lets both do this DIY together?

LES - Kelvin Scale.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011