1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

100/90W bulbs/ Punto headlamp upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 21, 2010.

1. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Seems more like external damages to me. Can be rectified by polishing and or wet sanding to some extend.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Work done today. The dullness came due to the heat generated I believe.

IMG_20151002_180635.jpg
    Pradeepms likes this.
  3. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Looking at the results it's not cause of bulb. If heat was high it would have impacted your reflector and HL glass from inside. You HL had the dullness due to external factors and most prominent of them could be washing with hard water
  4. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar.g i was not following what I said, i was happily enjoying :) from last week i started this....
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 2, 2015 ---
    @Ganges after treatment headlamps looks neat....
    Even I have scratches on my headlamps dont know how it has happened

@Ganges scratches on the headlamps are gone now?
  5. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ganges - Looking at pre and post pics it is evident that the damage was not due to the bulb. If we look at the area which I have marked towards by white arrow, this area wouldnt have been impacted as much due to the heat from the bulb. And if it could then it should have had more impact on the reflector which is not evident from the post image. Bulb is not the culprit. Its safe to use 90/100W bulbs with just some precautions

How much did he charge for this work ?

IMG_20151002_111821-horz.jpg
    Pradeepms and Ganges like this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar.g
    The pic illustration you shown is right, however the damage on the HL where the arrow is present was from inside, prior to this I tried different glass cleaners but didn't worked.
    The one you pointed was more damaged due to more oxidation, also if you see closely the area vicinity to indicator turned slightly into brown, this was also cleaned. The HL assembly was fully opened and cleaned.The damage was from inside and outside .Will post some pics after installation of HL.
    The job was done neately , cost 1200 Inr.

P.S :- Oxidation Effect on the Headlights.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 3, 2015 ---
    @Pradeepms
    Scratches almost gone, overall felt happy. The HL now looks crystal clear.The cleaning was from inside and outside of the HL.
    Pradeepms likes this.
  7. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good @Ganges.... Post some more pics
  8. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar.g

The root cause of the blackening is Heat due to the bulb.The headlight lens is poly carbonate material and it is its inherent property due to excessive heat. The time is not in days or years but the hours the light has been on.
    Probably @Ganges is driving more in night and that too for long stretches that is the only reason.

So far as repairing is done . It is nothing but purely buffing process done on a manual Bench type buffing machine using first a fine grit may be #400 grit emery compound usually white in color and then using lustre compound usually light green in color.
    All this is done with a soft Loose Linen or cotton wheel.This is a more than 100 year old process no great science.
    Though the irony is the Buffing cake they are using is costing merely 50 to 60 inr consumed only 1/20 th of the total cake,if they use cake worth rs 300 then the results will be just awesome.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  9. fiat583

fiat583 Novizio

kerela
    I am planning to upgrade the headlights of my punto to 100/90. Can anyone suggest me the best location in Trivandrum where I can get it done?
  10. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can buy from pioneer next to popular maruti, killipalam and get it installed from any friendly neighborhood garage.
    They have philips rally 100/90 as well as wiring kits.