1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

100/90W bulbs/ Punto headlamp upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 21, 2010.

1. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    vijay, i also have the same bulb in my car since 3 years. thankfully havent blown out. have driven continues 6-7 hours at night through kerala highways(means using dipper in the rate of pass/minute to make the opposite car to dip their HL :p ) and also almost for one year, my daily commute used to be at around midnight. btw i had roots wiring harness with relay and ceramic holder !
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It's these smaller things that are crucial for performance and stability. Thanks for sharing the info. I think you are suggesting bakelite holder and electronic flasher right?
  3. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi, the 100/90 Rally does generate a lot of heat and also light and it does go dead soon. In my case, its the highbeam filament which goes dead and its due to frequent usage of Dim/Dip and pass function. You can try the non rally 100/90 from Philips which is cheaper. The Bosh ones are good in terms of life, but the beam pattern and the light output is less than the Rally ones.

Having the 100/90 set up in my Alto from 2006 and have burned through Half a Dozen bulbs and a couple of Bakellite holder and a Relay ;-) . For night drive, I have Hella 500s to make life easier.

Low beam makes the Head light hotter than the high beam as high beam allows more light out of the housing.

Its a wiring Kit from roots for some 600 bucks. You need to buy headlight relay. The wiring harness I installed in my Linea came with Ceramic/Bakelite Holders ( H1 and H7. = 100 W-> high beam and 80 W low beam) In Punto, its piece of cake. 10 Minutes job.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I figured that much, what I want to know is, is there an electronic flasher from Roots used along with? The problem of bulbs going dead as mentioned earlier somewhere. Anyways, no plans on the Linea. :)
  5. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Nopes. Why does headlight require a flasher unit ? You mean like the ones for Led ? In Linea, you can try. I am running with 100 W for high beam and 80W for low beam for nearly for two years ( that is a whopping 180 Watts in a single housing in high beam mode). The only problem I faced was with Fuse in the wiring kit. Took it out, cleaned it and it working fine now.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Why do they make that electronic flasher in the first place, what type is there in Fiat cars, is it better or worse than the ones built into the cars, are there any inherent benefits or improvements with this Roots flasher unit. How does the pass function work otherwise?

Would this electronic flasher enhance bulb life in anyways?

As I said before I am not looking to do anything to the Linea, however, I would like to know the options. Some need these upgrades more than others for their driving conditions.

See headlight flashers listed on this page..I mean to ask do these help?
    https://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co.uk/category/headlight-flashers-relays
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Bro, This is a wiring kit and not a flasher unit. The Wiring kit is nothing but a ready made set of wires crimped and put inside a flexible PVC corrugated sheath with a fuse built in . The need for the wiring kit is that the wires are beefed up and can carry more current required for the higher wattage bulb( it comes in a neat package and so you can unplug the factory wiring and put this in place. No cutting required and can remove in minutes and return to factory wiring)
    Car Mirrors & Lights, ROOTS HEADLAMP WIRING KIT WITH RELAY-H4

The headlight flasher you have shown in the link is an automatic flasher circuit. This is no way related to pass function( manual flashing ) Btw, life of high power bulbs is better if they are constantly powered on. If continuous life is rated at 3000 hours, then the more you switch off and switch on, the life will get reduced.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Dude, you are dispensing unwanted information here, something that is already known. Thanks anyways. I am fully aware of this beefed up wiring you are suggesting and why it is needed. Roots uses Finolex automotive grade BTW.

My original question was to Varun, if he has opted for any headlight flasher also made by Roots. The suggestions are conceptual in nature. These ones in link are for cops etc. and continuous flashing lights like in VIP cars, so I know they aren't directly related. What I meant to ask is, is there an intermediary electronic headlight flasher used. The roots one is for right and left turns, I know.

Yes I know that already. I was hoping these electronic flashers could somehow assist in dip/dim and enhance bulb life.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
  10. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    as far as i know, it doesnt have any flasher unit.. just relay, 2 fuse, wiring kit and ceramic holder..