1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

100/90W bulbs/ Punto headlamp upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 21, 2010.

1. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I've upgraded to Philips Essential White Vision 100/90, it's just a month back. The focus range and the brightness is extremely good.
    But down the side, headlight doom is getting more heat . After 40min continuous drive, it gets so hotter that can't place my hand on the doom, afraid it may cause reflector to turn black.

I'm thinking of alternate options , need suggestions from others

-thanks,
    Sunil
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Both Osram night breaker plus and Philips X-treme vision are not good in rain. However, it fares way better than the stock in bone dry conditions.
    1 person likes this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Very true.

Also, one need to be extra careful while driving under rainy conditions. Having said that, it is better to stick with the stock bulbs rather than these premium bulbs.
  4. kiran.khandre

kiran.khandre Timido

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sorry typo error its 2011 dynamic.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Today changed the stock bulbs to Philips 100/90 rally.
    Cost breakup.
    Philips Bulbs:- 200rupees each(*2)
    Relay with wiring harness:- 750rupees.
    Installation:- 150rupees.

uploadfromtaptalk1405776734766.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405776772608.jpg

Fitment
    uploadfromtaptalk1405776796443.jpg
    3 people like this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Vow , highway drives now will be awesum in rains.Feeling now for not having 100/90 these many years.Now i too have strong high beam for those all time high beam people on highway. ;)
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ganges, what's your experience regarding the headlight doom getting hot after continuous usage. I had this set up in my previous car and as you opined, loved using it on highways. But was always careful while using high beams. Only issue I used to face was if the 'pass' action was used frequently, bulbs used to burn out often.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    punto_emotion
    its only one day old i have just tested for 20kms in night, not yet done acid test :D .Will post review after doing a long night drive.
  9. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^ Sure.!

OT. Ganges, one day equates to several hundred kms in case of your Punto :D
    Sent from my Lumia using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Ganges anna, Lets see how long those Phillips rally bulbs last on your car.

I and Nkiran got it in 2012 almost at the same time. My bulbs used to blow out frequently while on Kiran's punto the bulbs never failed. Kiran's is pure city drive everyday with less usage of high beam while mine was ORR+city, High beams on ORR + lots of dipper usage in the city both day and night.

While the filament itself would stay intact, the base would break due to the heat. The inert gas would leak out and then the bulb is useless. I changed atleast 4 bulbs costing 200 each with the same kind of failure each time. Switched to Bosch 100/90 Bulbs and they have been good for the last 1 yr or so.

The headlight plastic itself fades slightly due to the 100/90's heat but i will have to do a side by side comparo with a new headlight to notice the difference. Overall good cheap upgrade but people who do not respect other road users and leave their high beams ON all the time should strictly stay away from these.

-VJ
    2 people like this.