1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

100/90W bulbs/ Punto headlamp upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i too upgraded my H1 and H7 on linea with Osram NB+ before my tirupati trip. they are definitely brighter than stock , but 100/90 bulbs are any time better than any osrams/hellas etc with stock wattage.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Bought 2 Philips X-tremeVision, cost Rs 1150. Not fitted yet.

Picture036-14.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Philips gives real good performance. Had used it in my Alto. Its a big boon on highways especially! This upgrade is pending in my Punto still :uh
  4. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    That's great Ravi. Heard good reviews on this when compared to Osram NB +. Ravi when time permits can you please write down the Kelvin of this bulb. I just wanted to know whether this is more on the whiter side or the other when compared to Philips Extreme Power & Osram NB +. Kindly let me know your reviews too once you fix it.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have installed it, and found its not white at all.

I have driven little today, found low beam is nice. High beam yet to be tested properly, seems to me not a big difference.
  6. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I installed EV 2 months back.Disgusted, I have replaced those bulbs with PHILIPS RALLY 100/90.Far better light----both brightness & beam spread.
  7. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

Bengaluru
    My father bought these bulbs from an online store (Homeshop TV18 I guess) and thinks he can install them without relay. This piece of (misleading?) information was provided on the retailers website or retailers version of product description I believe.

Photo0346.jpg

Photo0347.jpg

Request the experts here to have a look at it and confirm if this can be used without installing a relay. It is a 120/110W bulb.
    All that I have read on this forum and others have clearly stated a relay would be required for bulb of this output. But my father wouldn't listen and he asked me to post this query here.

Also, where do I buy the wiring kit+ceramic bulb holders+relay kit for this?

Lastly, after going through this entire thread, I am unable to know the impact of this mod on Warranty. What has been the members experience on warranty front?
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Anything above 60/55 is illegal and is certain to void warranty. AFAIK, 120/110 will certainly need a relay and ceramic holders. Also, if the lights are kept on for long duration when the car is not moving, as in a traffic snarl, it will result in blackening / melting of the plastic lens, due to excessive heat. Also, I fail to understand why anyone would need such bright lights. No offense, but IMHO if one has difficulty seeing with the stock bulbs, with occasional use of Hi-beam, then one should not risk driving in the dark.

Having said that, you can source the required components from AK traders in JC Road. The owner of that place is a virtual wizard in Automobile lighting related stuff.

Rajan
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

Bengaluru
    I am not sure how many of us can ride/drive confidently with the illumination provided by stock bulbs. If we could, there wouldn't have been a 13 page thread here, no? If Sun shined a bit extra during winter months then he woudn't have driven in the dark.

Thank You for the lead on the vendor though, will pay a visit over the weekend.
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Nitin

Those can not be fitted directly on the stock holders.

You need wiring kit. Wiring kit is available from hella which can handle bulbs upto 130W. Wiring kit is plug and play type and includes relays, fuses, and ceramic holders. I have used one and is going great.
    1 person likes this.