1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

1.6 Head Gasket Blown - What are my options!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by kk27, Mar 24, 2015.

1. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hey guys,

In an unfortunate turn of events, I've found out that the Engine Head gasket has blown on my sweet 1.6 Engine :(. Last few days it was running a little hot, and was also loosing coolant which I had to refill. It used to also not crank in the first instance, would always take a few cranks to get it rolling.

Anyway RS motors found out oil mixed with water & diagnosed it as a blown head gasket. Now the bills just to get that done is very tall! but I'm worried opening the engine will be like opening a can of worms.

I've read that in the US there are head Gasket/Coolant sealers available which needs to be poured into the coolant tank and it seals the gaskets? are these available in India?

I suspect the head could be gone as well. The costs to repair the engine (if the head also needs replacing) will be the same as to replacing with a new 1.6 Engine block.

Any suggestions by you guys will be of help.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I would suggest you to buy all the required parts from Scrap Market/used car spare part market.

As you are from Mumbai, I would suggest you to visit Kurla market and I am sure you will get all the required parts at much cheaper rates.

Use public transport to visit Kurla Market though ;)
  3. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
  4. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    well to put it more aptly, the total estimated cost for gasket replacement is coming close to 15k (parts+labour+consumables). Now that's only if the gasket is gone. If the head is gone then replacement with a new head total will jump to 48k!. Now getting a use engine head is one way to reduce that cost, but is it advisable to buy used parts for Engine?

Whereas replacement of the Engine is being quoted to about 60k(parts+labour). Since I'm their long time customer. I'm in two minds whether to go for replacement or just take a chance with repairs & hope that only the gasket is gone.
  5. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Were there any other symptoms? Was there noticeable leakage? heavy smoke? Or you were able to drive right up to the service and they gave you this diagnosis?

If you didn't run it with zero coolant, and the temp didn't shoot up drastically, in all probability your head is fine and gasket needs replacement. At any rate, you will have to open up the head at the least.

These temporary sealants wont give you a lasting seal. It's always better to do a proper job the first time. In fact, if you want to try something temporary, you can try a home remedy - turmeric powder. It works, but try at your own risk!

Good luck with fixing your ride. Do update.
  6. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hmm, well the coolant was quite noticeable, infact twice the temp raised rapidly till halfway mark and stayed there. had taken to office for 2days, but noticing that there was power loss and surging heat I avoided.

RS said that the head "may need replacement" since they know my car's history. I've had a radiator pipe-leak earlier while driving which resulted in the car go to red-line, since I was driving at a high rpm when it happened. Which ultimately RS had repaired. But the final thing can only be verified after the engine is opened, which is what scares me.

I'm thinking of taking a chance as of now for just the gasket replacement, in discussions with RS also! The car recently got valued at 55k :bag: against replacement of Punto Evo. So it's like spending more than the value of the car. But then it has a lot more emotional value to me, hence I'm discussing it!!
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It is always good to try fixing the problem first instead of replacing (e.g. joint replacement should be done on a patient only after all other repair .. err .. treatment options have been exhausted). I heard repair shops sending the head surface for machining. I have even seen some machined heads coming back with a smooth shiny flat surface. Therefore I believe even if the head is little warped it can be machined flat and fitted back. Head replacement is needed only if it is warped beyond repair. As @selwyn.a told in the previous post in all likelihood your head is good ;)
    selwyn.a likes this.
  8. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks Ravi for the encouragement. :)
  9. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Well after much discussion with Mohan Deshmukh of RS Motors (a well respected Fiatian & Advisor) & my friend/cycling partner/fiatian Prabuddha I decided to go for complete replacement of the Engine. It boiled down to a few points;
    • Engine was used with CNG for considerable no of years.
    • Engine had overheated twice.
    • There was a possibility of valves, springs and a whole lot of other small niggles would crop-up and call for repairs/replacements.
    In short it would be like opening a pandora's box, not knowing what to expect! So expecting the worst case I tried to weigh the advantages of a new engine
    • Complete assembly means better fit & finish
    • New throttle body + New alternator + Sparkplugs + wire + belts etc..... which all if bought separately would cost as much!
    • I intend to keep the car for as long as I can & this gives me Reassurance & Peace of mind that the car's major & most important part is sorted & it'll be mechanically A-OK for next many years to come so I can now slowly spend on the cosmetics.
    The advantages of replacement far outweighed So in a way rather than going for Bypass surgery went with heart transplant which definitely has it's added benefits.

Some Pics @ RS.... The old removed Engine, Guys fighting to Shoehorn the monstrous engine in the bay, post assembly currently testing.

Palio%2Brestore%2B-%2B3.jpg Palio%2Brestore%2B-%2B4.jpg Palio%2Brestore%2B-%2B1.jpg Palio%2Brestore%2B-%2B2.jpg
    asimpleson likes this.
  10. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    What you told is right - great peace of mind as far as engine is considered. Can you share where did you source the engine from and how much did it cost?