1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

1.4 Petrol no more good option?

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by CarJoker, Jan 20, 2014.

1. CarJoker

CarJoker Amatore

Bengaluru
    Hi all, My first option for booking Punto was1.2 Petrol but changed later to 1.4 Petrol Emotion.But most reviews on the net don't seem to be in the favor of 1.4 Petrol.Most agree that on highways, it performs better. The sales figure are in complete favor of Diesel Puntos.Also dealers/SAs insist on diesel over petrol.
    Keep aside Petrol/Diesel prices(which is big factor ofcourse), are there any specific disadvantages of owing 1.4 Petrol emotion over 1.3 Diesel Emotion? One point i always see is average is less-ranging from 9 to 12km/l in cities. Any others?
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Apart from the cost of the models, the fuel cost and the average there is hardly anything that seperates the two models. Both the emotion variants are fully loaded and specs match to a Tee. In fact one advantage I see of Fire engine over the MJD is the inexistent turbo lag (although I personally havent experienced any lag in my MJD) and the fact that you dont have to idle the engine before shutting off or after starting. The choice between Petrol or diesels depends upon the monthly running.
    4 people like this.
  3. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    As a owner of 1.4 (30k KMS done) myself and having 3 more 75HP MJD's in our family, let me tell you that you won't regret 1.4. I drove my BIL's 75hp many times (probably around 5k KMS) I feel turbo lag is very annoying. In highway you have to shift to 2nd gear very often, but in 1.4 you can keep it in 3rd only. But yes in city i am getting 11-12 with full AC. But highways, many times I got 16+. So if your monthly running is low you can go for 1.4 :)
    1 person likes this.
  4. CarJoker

CarJoker Amatore

Bengaluru
    Thanks alot guys. My monthly running should be around 1000 to 1200KMs.
  5. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Go for 1.3MJD, Might be your monthly running is low, but it will not remain the same year after year.
    In the current situation MJD makes sense. Very light on the pocket at the end of every month.

I bought T-Jet thinking my running is not more, even though I saved on the initial payment, but monthly fuel bills disturbs a lot.
    4 people like this.
  6. CarJoker

CarJoker Amatore

Bengaluru
    Thanks. Also there is not much cost difference between Diesel and petrol emotion.(generally its 90K to 1Lakh in other cars).
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @CarJoker at the end of the you are almost same price for 1.4 Punto unlike 1.3 Punto.

I would suggest you to go for Punto 1.3 Emotion manufactured in 2013 and you will save a lot in initial payment and then after on every refuel. :up

Offtopic: What happened to Punto Sport deal?
  8. CarJoker

CarJoker Amatore

Bengaluru
    :) No emotion left in Fiat.:D Yes No diesel Emotion is there in the plant or any dealer nearby. Sport available in Chennai(RDC fiat i recall) but want to avoid due to many issues.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    If you compare the sales figures from different car makers, you wont buy FIAT at all :evilsmile.
    Jokes aside, the only negative I saw if 1.4 is the low city mileage. It can range from 9-12. On highways, the best mileage I have seen is 16.5, that is, you drive "sedately" at 80 kmph. Mileage drops when speed goes above or below 80. But, then, on highway, it difficult to drive "sedately" especially with the highly intoxicating vrooom it gives after 80kmph. :D

As you say you average run will be around 1200kms, I would recommend diesel.
    3 people like this.
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can opt to be bitten once (pay extra for diesel car) or get pinched every few days (pay extra for petrol bills).

That said, both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Both are equally good when compared to each other. It depends upon your priorities. At 1000-1200km/month, I would personally pick up a MJD variant considering the fact that 1.4 Punto and 1.3 Punto dont have a price difference as huge as other cars (1-1.3lacs).

Petrol 1.4 Punto:
    - Silent petrol engine.
    - Lesser maintenance cost (servicing charges are less and things like battery, suspension etc. last longer. I say suspension bcoz a petrol engine is lighter and is said to cause lesser wear and tear).
    - You can convert it to CNG/LPG in future. Many TFI members have converted petrol FIAT Punto/Linea to CNG and have driven 60000Km or more without issues. Diesel car cant be switched and you pay whatever is the price of diesel.

Punto 1.3MJD:
    - Turbocharged engine with lots of torque. Only a diesel car driven can tell what turbo lag is. A petrol car owner is not used to the characteristics of a diesel engine in general.
    - Economy of a diesel engine.