1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

1.3 MJD-pickup 'issue'-driving guidelines

Discussion in 'Technical' started by CarJoker, May 24, 2014.

1. CarJoker

CarJoker Amatore

Bengaluru
    Hi all,
    I bought 1.3 MJD emotion in Feb(1200KM till now).i am interested in driving guidelines/your advice as this is my first car and not much experience in driving Maruti/Santro or any other.Any link regarding this will also be useful.
    1) Pickup during first and second gear shift- I found I had to apply accelerator more than expected. From net and from here, i came to know pickup is an issue for Punto.Not sure its true. When we drive through traffic jams-with mostly first/second gear, this causes problem. I do gear shift generally when rpm reaches 2000 to 2500. Is this normal for gear shift?
    2) When i lower the gear from 3rd to 2nd, many times i experience car jerks. This happens if i don't release the clutch gradually and very slowly. Do you also experience this?During lowering the gear, do we need to release the clutch very slowly? I i gently apply brakes, while releasing clutch, jerks are minimal.
    Again this may not be a problem with Punto engine. It could be because car is new ? or i need to improve on driving.
  2. Dilip patel

Dilip patel Amatore

ahmedabad
    Gear shifting after 2000 is ok but when you reduce gear check your race with cluch even you release cluch fast there is no issue ,
    Practice for lower gear shifting
    Also increase accelerator slowly and then shift gear at 2500
    And reduce gear after 1750

I love Fiat
  3. Dilip patel

Dilip patel Amatore

ahmedabad
    I have swfari 2.2 dicor vtt and classic plus 1.3 mjd

I love Fiat
  4. CarJoker

CarJoker Amatore

Bengaluru
    Thanks. I am now trying to change gears(1-->2-->3) quickly-between 1500 to 2000RPM. This doesn't give jerks and able to adjust with traffic.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Carjoker

Multijet produces its max.torque at very low RPM.
    In 75 HP @1750 RPM & in 90 HP @2000 RPM.

So while driving MJD you don't have to go upto 1750/2000 RPM in 1st and 2nd gear.

Gear ratio of MJD is kept in such a way that you get wonderful driveability in city.
    So in MJD 1st & 2nd gear is only for moving a car.
    MJD gives pleasant acceleration from 3rd gear on words.

Many people expect maniac acceleration like Maruti DDiS from MJD and misunderstand that FIAT cars are under powered.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Dilip patel

Dilip patel Amatore

ahmedabad
    Bhai
    You are right
    Just start car
    Switch 1 to 2 to 3
    Then feel power
    And change 4 and 5

I love Fiat