1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

1.3 MJD...How Driveable?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by keeprevving, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Hello Friends. I am on the verge of buying a new sedan. I test drove the 2012 Linea MJD and Volkswagen Vento TDI. Never considered Fluidic Verna. No offenses but the interiors were not up to the mark and the low seating was a big let down. I have a few queries to current Linea owners:

Everyone's talking about 1.3 MJD. I mean we all know it was voted as the best diesel engine in the world. The test drive left we wanting for more, more power and torque. See I actually test drove Vento and then Linea. Vento's engine was addictive but everything else about the car was all about cost-cutting. The steering was dead, completely numb. I can't tell you, how much I hate those electronic power steering.

While in the Linea, moving on 1st gear and shifting to 2nd and then to 3rd requires effort from the driver as well as from the engine; power wise. During the shifts, I felt quite a considerable amount of engine noise getting into the cabin. This happened when I revved it hard to see how much pull the engine can provide. Is this rumble normal to all Lineas? If not, then will this engine's rumble die down as the engine opens up? I would like to know how much effort a driver has to put while overtaking? I mean do you have to plan to make the move on the roads? Is it difficult in bumper-to-bumper traffic?

I am asking all these questions because currently I am driving 2001 Indica V2 DLS. The car is very slow, requires planning at every move you make on the road. It's just the 19-21 mileage is worth the drive from point A to B. It's been with me since 2001 and consistently it has provided me with fabulous fuel efficiency figures with no mechanical hiccups. However, now I am looking for a diesel that will fun to drive. I don't want another car which is same as my 11 year old Indica DLS. I don't want to plan my moves on the highway, I have my Indica for that :rolleyes:. I hope you are getting my point. Vento has the engine that I am looking for, but everything else doesn't impress me much. Especially the steering, the interiors, exterior, features...Linea ticks all the right boxes for me, but it's "NATIONAL ENGINE" what makes me a bit reluctant, if seen from driveability viewpoint.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    In dense city traffic it does become a problem sometime but one gets used to it but out on open roads just a push on the pedal would pull you back strongly no need to downshift as long as you are around 1800 rpm. The Linea does 80 km/hr @ 2000rpm bang in turbo zone and just a push of pedal and goes above 100 @ 2500 rpm.
    The car pulls cleanly from 3rd gear onward to around 140 in top gear with just a slight push of pedal.

Surely the Verna and Vento have power advantage but have their disadvantages too read as kmpl. The engine noise does goes down as km's pile but there will always be a growl from the MJD when driven hard and that sound is addictive. The noise is actually much much less in Linea than in VW Vento.

Please take a long test drive of all the cars only then you will be able to undertsand them better and their torque and power curve.
  3. Thanks Vijay for the prompt reply. Can you confirm if I am in a bumper-to-bumper traffic, just the 2nd gear can do the job easily? Or I have to keep shifting from 1st-2nd-1st-2nd gears just like in my Indica. Its a real pain in the ***. Is driving with AC on in heavy traffic a difficult job? The problem is the FIAT outlet is on the highway and testing in city conditions is difficult.
  4. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Why don't you take a longer test drive in the Linea? Many people have found the car lacking in grunt but once they drive it for 30-35 kms they understand the 'hot zone' of the engine and learn to drive accordingly.

Why don't you check out the new Ford Fiesta?
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    You can easily chug along City traffic in the second gear, you can also coast at 40KM/Hr in 5th gear although not recommended with your legs of accelerator and clutch. Once you understand the gear ratios you should be able to match other cars although Linea can't match the Vento & Rapid's acceleration.

However if you're hell bent on the power which Vento offers please also TD the Rapid which offers it at much better price.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Second gear does good job in B2B traffic but you won't be able to fill any quick gap that like you can do in petrol powered cars it would take it's own sweet time to pick speed.
    There is no need to shift continously between 1st and 2nd gear. You can even slot second gear from almost complete standstill the engine produces enough torque to pull the car in 2nd gear with no accelerator input.
    Once the RPM goes above 2000 it goes like a bullet in second gear and you can see all cars in your rear view mirrors.
  7. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The car is absolute pleasure to drive...got to test it on my trip to Dhanaultiu, Mussoorie, hathipao etc.........the car was pulling perfectly didnt find any problems except once or twice...when i had to break suddenly and stop.........and engage 1st gear....
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Consider between Linea and Rapid. Rapid is a better buy than Vento. But Linea is also fun to drive car though it has smaller engine. And Linea will be above rapid in safety because of better build and a wider tire and a edge over Rapid in dynamics though loose with it in terms of straight line acceleration.

Welcome to TFI. I think you are the first member from Bhubaneswar. Please post pictures of Puri and Konark.

9. Hi keeprevving,

Have tried to answer some of your queries based on by 2700km MJD driving experience.

a) The engine rumble [its actually more a lovely whine] is normal above 2000rpm. I assure you, you will fall in love with that sound if you ever buy the Linea.
    b) Overtaking needs a bit of planning - not that the car is slow to take-off...it just needs to be in the right gear and that takes a bit of judgement and road awareness.
    c) The car is not difficult to drive in bumper to bumper traffic at all...in fact with the increased torque provided on 2nd gear, its quite easy.
    d) The question that you actually are asking is "Is the Linea a good drivable car IN CITY TRAFFIC". The key is city traffic. My opinion is that it is not. But, like it is mentioned a lot on this forum, take it on the Highway and it is by far the most drivable, indulgent and safe car in this segment. In fact my Linea has given me a split personality - I drive it like I am driving a limousine/ saloon in the city and like a sports car when on the highway.

My two bits.

Ciao
    1 person likes this.
  10. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Also consider the after sales.. cost per service.. most people ignore this..... and end up regretting..