1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

1,27,739 km's and soldiering on

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by gurjinder, Jul 13, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    My maternal uncle paid us a visit yesterday after quite a while. He has a 2009 Punto 1.3 E Pack and naturally i was curious as to how it's going on.

Firstly, it was a pleasant surprise to read the odometer - 1,27,739km's. :)
    rsz_12072012016.jpg

So i took it for a spin in an effort to see how the 'old' girl is driving after all this time.

On cranking the engine up, it shook quite a bit. The gears were a bit notchy and the gear shift lever itself had quite a bit of play. All symptoms of the gear "gutka"( i don't know the technical word) needing a replacement.

But then comes the driving part. It was still driving like the day i drove it first in 2009. The engine was pulling HARD ( yes in capital letters), and it was absolutely loving high rpm playing. To this day i'm not sure why the 2nd gear of FIATs is so criticised. I've found this to be completely false in the Linea, and also in the Punto. Put the pedal to the metal in 2nd and off it goes. I stomped the pedal in 2nd and 3rd and was at 80kmph in no time. The brakes felt as if they'd lost a bit of initial bite, but i couldn't inspect the pads for wear. The steering was perfect, no wayward movement.

There were no rattles, squeaks of any kind while driving. The AC was chilling with all it's might.

My review is partly incomplete as i could not know what the service history of the car has been and whether it gave any major headaches over the past years. When i came back from the drive, the atmosphere was "spirited" , if you know what i mean. ::D

Going this way, i don't see this Punto tiring out anywhere before 3-3.5 lac km's. Apart from the usual wear and tear, the car showed no signs of having aged.

Cheers.
    11 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Wow. This is great to hear.

Absolutely. This is what I always tell when someone complain about the 2nd gear in Linea. I don't have any problem with it and it indeed pull very well from 2nd gear onwards.
  3. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Thats great Gurjinder Paaji.... Good to know that Punto is still a hard and Efficient worker even @ 1.25 lac Km. on Odo... :up
  4. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @gurjinder, you are one lazy fellow :) ....you should have grilled your uncle some more.... and written a long term ownership report ...
  5. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think this is ideal example of Fiat ...although we have another buddy .. EPICENTER.... Thanks gurjinder for the post....
    It really boast confidence of existing Punto owners..
  6. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Great to see that the Punto's still going strong even after crossing over 120000kms!

One more thing. Was it raining paaji? Am asking this because the MID is showing an outside temperature of 25°C.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes Sherlock Holmes Paaji, it was pouring quite a lot yesterday evening during the drive.

Ha ha. Like i said, by the time i returned, my uncle and father were in a very "high-spirited" mood. :lol: So, i couldn't talk about ownership issues.

A few more things i'd like to add are :

1. The car sees a LOT of village driving.
    2. Mostly it's driven by the driver.
    3. From what i can make out the by the driving practices of my uncle and his driver - the engine has never been idled after a cold start and before shutting down. ;)
  8. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    When I took my Punto for the 45K service, the SA said that there are a lot of Puntos which have run more than 1 lakh kms. he said other than the regular services, no major issues were reported in the Puntos
  9. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Gurji paaji- In my car,i do wheel spin in the second gear at 40Kmph! Just press it down, they the you get torque steer and wheel spin!! :D
  10. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)
    WOW is the word - after 1.27 klms the car is going great - I guess It will take a good ten years for my car to get there..